Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Unplanned Visitor

I have learned with time to let my garden speak to me.

I don't mean that I actively talk to my plants (although I do admit to talking to my backyard birds).  When I say 'let my garden speak to me', it's more about letting go of complete control.

Sometimes a garden will let you know what it wants to do. A perennial that you thought you had completely removed will stubbornly regrow and flourish. A plant that you desperately want to grow may refuse to--letting you know in no uncertain terms that your conditions do not suit it. A plant that you never placed in your garden may appear, perhaps a gift of a passing bird, the wind or a stowaway on a garden centre pot.

I currently have a lovely unplanned visitor. I almost pulled it out when I saw the unknown green sprout growing in the crack between the stones of our front steps a few weeks ago. I am so glad that I didn't. Now we have a sweet alyssum plant welcoming us as we approach our front door. Spontaneity in the midst of structure. A good reminder.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful little plant! I have one of this in my house here in Brazil.
    Love watercolor too!
    Ana from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana -- Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my watercolours. I think, more and more, that the simple plants are the most beautiful. Alyssum is so pretty when you look at it closely--like tiny bouquets of flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...