August 30, 2011

Unplanned Visitor

I have learned with time to let my garden speak to me.

I don't mean that I actively talk to my plants (although I do admit to talking to my backyard birds).  When I say 'let my garden speak to me', it's more about letting go of complete control.

Sometimes a garden will let you know what it wants to do. A perennial that you thought you had completely removed will stubbornly regrow and flourish. A plant that you desperately want to grow may refuse to—letting you know in no uncertain terms that your conditions do not suit it. A plant that you never placed in your garden may appear, perhaps a gift of a passing bird, the wind or a stowaway on a garden centre pot.

I currently have a lovely unplanned visitor. I almost pulled it out when I saw the unknown green sprout growing in the crack between the stones of our front steps a few weeks ago. I am so glad that I didn't. Now we have a sweet alyssum plant welcoming us as we approach our front door. Spontaneity in the midst of structure. A good reminder.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful little plant! I have one of this in my house here in Brazil.
    Love watercolor too!
    Ana from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana -- Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my watercolours. I think, more and more, that the simple plants are the most beautiful. Alyssum is so pretty when you look at it closely--like tiny bouquets of flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)