September 1, 2011

Walking to Work


September 1st. A day attached to so many changes and new beginnings.  Today, my youngest daughter begins high school. (In Quebec, high school is from Grade 7 to Grade 11.) My eldest is now in Grade 11. I'm sure that my youngest had butterflies in her stomach as she waited for the bus this morning. I will admit to having some in mine too. I know that she will do beautifully, but it is a big change all the same.

Now I have longer days to concentrate on my own pursuits. I am more determined than ever to get my art career back on track. I need to make sure that I am spending time each day in my studio. I also need to allow myself computer time to continue learning Photoshop (the beast!) and to get more comfortable scanning and making digital prints of my paintings. I have long lists of things in my head that I want to do. But, most important, I just need to paint. When I started this blog, part of my thinking was that it would keep gentle pressure on me to stay focused on my painting.

A while ago, I read about husband and wife musicians who worked at home on their farm.  They began each day by 'walking to work'. What a good idea! It's a way of physically signalling that the work day is about to begin. At home, it is so easy to become distracted and sometimes, in a creative sense, paralysed. So my faithful companion and I began our day today by 'walking to work'. And now, with my cup of coffee in hand, I am walking upstairs to my studio. Wish me luck. I hope to let you see some paintings I am working on in the days ahead.


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of walking to work. Mabel and I need to get back to regular morning walks. Too bad the 4 of us don't live closer together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeko says to Mabel: Meet me halfway--Kingston tomorrow morning! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)