October 15, 2012

The Beauty of Autumn

It's hard to beat the beauty of autumn. As much as I adore spring and get excited each and every time that my garden comes to life again, I find autumn to be so 'stop me in my steps' beautiful.  Freshly fallen leaves with their impossibly bright hues. Crispy, faded leaves with their more subdued palette. I love them all.

On Friday, I finally got back into my studio to paint again. The dried leaf I used as a model was a little work of art in itself. So delicate and yet full of detail and colour. I posted an 'in progress' version of my painting on Facebook and Twitter and got myself tied in knots. I had so many nice comments that I was almost afraid to finish it and ruin it somehow. (Each painting is full of a hundred moments of insecurity. I turn a corner and another and another.) But I did finish it and I really like how it turned out.

Here are some of the autumn photos I've taken the past couple of weeks of things I've seen on my walks as well as leaf bouquets and collections that have found their way home.


18 comments:

  1. Autumn is such a colorful season, and you've managed to capture that vibrant, yet evolving & decaying state of the leaves in the autumn. Well done, my friend, I could almost pick the leaf from your painting & touch it !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment. Thanks so much Sonia. xx

      Delete
  2. Nobody does autumn like Canada :-) Your leaf is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the seasons here. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. The colors of fall are so vivid and beautiful - love your pics here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this time of year. Thank you Tina.

      Delete
  4. autumn is particularly spectacular this year
    love your painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The colours this year are wonderful. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Love you're pictures! They are so vivid and look very fresh or clean somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia! Must be the fresh, crisp autumn air! :)

      Delete
  6. Yes those colours can stop you in your tracks, got to take the time to stand and stare at such amazing shades. Good to capture the photos too as it's a shame the leaves wither and fade. But yours won't it will stay beautiful, captured so perfectly as you have done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! So true. They don't last. So many have fallen already.

      Delete
  7. That leaf is so beautiful! I can't wait to see the final painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the final painting, Misty. :) The work in progress was posted on Facebook.

      Delete
  8. Ah, deciduous countries in Autumn - the one time I wish I wasn't in Australia....

    Lovely work Kathleen , can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy. I could use a little bit of your warmth and your beautiful beaches sometimes. :)

      Delete
  9. I love nature studies like this... so beautiful and the colors so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's one of my favourite ways to paint.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)