May 3, 2012

Lines and Connections

Anyone who comes here regularly knows that I love birds, rocks and hearts, and that I really love detail. So maybe this painting was meant to be. First I created a composition. I assembled one of my favourite heart-shaped rocks, a lovely ball of twine and...oh oh...I don't have a real bird nest.  So instead, I made my composition using a not-so-natural-looking decorative bird nest (that dark brown thing in the upper right hand corner of the photo). Then I looked up photos of what a real song sparrow's nest and eggs look like. I chose a song sparrow because they are among our backyard birds. In fact, there's one fellow who often sits in the birch tree just behind our yard and sings his little heart out to me.

My painting was done referring to my composition photo, several reference photos of song sparrow nests and my actual rock and twine. Do you know how many little lines and tiny squiggles there are in a ball of twine or a bird's nest? Let's just say several days' worth.

In my painting, a piece of the bird's nest touches the rock. There are bits of twine woven into the nest and there is a lovely spiral piece of twine that winds its way through the painting. I wanted to convey a sense of connection.  I've titled the painting "This is where my heart lives".

Pictured below is the print that I did of my painting. That took me days as well! After several unsuccessful scans (angled this way and that way), I finally worked from a photo of my painting and have ended up with a print that I am proud of.  I hope you like it too.



16 comments:

  1. Oh Kathleen, words fail me, I love this painting, all the "crazy" details, all the love you poured in it, and of course its meaning. You can be proud, it's really *that* gorgeous ! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sonia. I have your words right next to my heart here. xx

      Delete
  2. i love the heart-shaped rock! what a beautiful painting :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chantilly! I have a little collection of heart-shaped rocks but that one is my favourite. :)

      Delete
  3. the yarn and the heart-shaped rock (the real thing i mean) gave your art some (I'm running out of English) personality or atmosphere or character or... I'll come back after buying myself an intensive dictionary. You just wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even without your 'intensive' dictionary, I like and appreciate your comment very much, Perrine. And I don't think of you as someone ever lacking for words or pictures. :)

      Delete
  4. You´re so talented, I find great pleasure in seeing your art! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. You always say such nice things.

      Delete
  5. oh lovely! a new favourite for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this may very well be a new favourite of mine too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margie.

      You guys should have a microphone to hear me (I talk to the screen) as I read all of your comments. They mean so much to me. :)

      Delete
  7. I really love this one Kathleen, the simple colour palette balnaces the amazing amount of detail you have laboured over - it's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy so much. BIG smile. (Didn't need the microphone for that one.)

      Delete
  8. beautiful!
    you did such a lovely job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arounna. That means a lot to me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)