March 4, 2013

Coffee, Tea and Cake

In the past two weeks, I have worked on two paintings, one of tea and the other of coffee. My idea was to show the plant behind the beverages we enjoy on a daily basis. I tend to drink coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I love both. And, as you already know I adore flowers, so I was happy to learn that both tea and coffee plants have beautiful white flowers.

The coffee painting gave me some problems early on. I just wasn't happy with how it started. That's when watercolour can be a troublesome medium. With oil or acrylic, I could have covered over the parts that were bothering me. I thought of abandoning it, but my stubborn nature kicked in and I found a way to balance out the composition and have ended up liking it after all.  The tea painting is already available as a print in my shop. I just have some small details to finish on the coffee painting and then it will be made into a print too.

Emma made the most wonderful orange cake over the weekend. It was as delicious as it looks. She used the recipe here. Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.


ChloƩ has her March break this week. Emma has hers next week. It's the first year that their breaks have been out of sync. I hope to find moments to paint in between spending some time with them. I have so many painting ideas swirling around in my head these days.

19 comments:

  1. I like the look of that cake - and your pretty paintings as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina, and I highly recommend the cake. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your tea painting, it's so fresh! The coffee one is very nice to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are delightful! I enjoy your clean white backgrounds, you can just focus on the subject with no distractions! Tea is my favorite, and thus tea is my favorite painting! :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. I like leaving the background white, especially if I am painting natural objects. Sometimes it's nice to paint scenes too. My eldest daughter was encouraging me to do some paintings with backgrounds soon.

      Delete
  4. Love the paintings! The tea print is very lovely. Makes me want to get back to my watercolors soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Valerie. Get those watercolors back out! :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely paintings, an excellent idea. Cake looks delish! my mouth is watering! Soon be time for the trowel to come out, it's feeling slightly spring like here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. We still need snow shovels here. Will be glad to trade them for a trowel soon. :)

      Delete
  6. Both are so charming! And everything about this post is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful paintings and please enjoy your time with your girls. In no time there will be no march breaks and I can say that when that happens you really miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margie. Good advice. Emma is away for a few days visiting friends (the longest she's been away) and I already miss her. Practice for the years ahead. xx

      Delete
  8. hmmmm art and food what could be a better combination?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coffee painting is as lovely as the tea one is, really beautiful and.... hop ! I am stealing Emma's recipe ! :) Thanks Emma !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucile, and you will enjoy the cake I'm sure!

      Delete
  10. Kathleen - love both coffee and tea and your art is wonderful. Going to check out that orange cake - it looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)