February 14, 2013

Some Thoughts About Love

Happy Valentine's Day! I think rather than focusing on romantic love, it would be a better, more inclusive celebration to think about love of all kinds--it's around us whether in our families, friendships, our faithful four-footed companions, our activities, our communities, in nature.

I bought that sterling silver heart necklace years ago on a Valentine's Day when I was feeling sad and left out of the whole romantic side. I was in university. (That is a long time ago.) But do you know what? I love that necklace and still wear it. Giving a gift to ourselves makes a lot of sense.

My Christmas cactus has a sense of celebration albeit the wrong one. It is exuberantly celebrating Valentine's Day today. I like a free spirit.

Last year, one side of the plant bloomed on Valentine's Day and the other side on Easter. :)
Giving ourselves a gift doesn't need to be material. It can be as simple as listening to our heart. For a long time I followed my head with my career in communications. Then I decided to listen to my heart and made the scary decision to leave my secure, well-paying job and launch my card company many years ago. Another phase of my heart was the decision to devote several years to being a stay-at-home mom. And these past two years when I have refocused on my art career have been another very important phase of honouring my heart. It's not always easy. I'll admit that. Each phase (head and heart) has had its difficulties but I think that when I have listened to my heart, things have balanced out better. I tend to be happier. Maybe because I am being truer to myself.

The beautiful letterpress print from Heartfish Press that I bought myself just before I went back to painting full-time. It now hangs on my studio wall just beside my painting table.
I saw a video today. It is a talk given by the late British philosopher Alan Watts on choosing our path. I think it is worth watching by young and old--whether at the beginning of your own path or somewhere along its winding trail. I could send you all roses and chocolates and say 'I love you' but a better gift from me to you would be to say: this Valentine's Day, look around at all of the love that surrounds you and make yourself a promise in the year ahead to listen to your heart. xo Kathleen


❤ Don't forget that I am giving away an original ACEO at the end of the day Friday. You can enter here

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Kathleen, love the video. this is what I do full time, paint and I love it so much it is a part of me. It's not very profitable but I keep going and hope one day,it will be more so. I've been blessed to be able to. love your beautiful work, Happy Valentine's Day to you,Love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely when you say it is part of you. The periods when I haven't painted, I always felt like part of me was missing. Thank you for your warm support. Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

      Delete
  2. Love that video. I'll make sure the girls see it as well.
    It took me a while to realize that I always need to be creative - though it always peeked out even if I didn't realize. And even more so, when I don't sing I literally lose the song in my heart. Older and wiser I guess. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want Emma and ChloĆ© to watch it too. I know what you mean about creativity. Even when I wasn't painting, I was doing other things (woodworking, decorating, gardening). When you are a creative person, I think it has to come out. I don't quite understand why I found painting to be hard then--maybe because I couldn't devote myself to it in the way I wanted to. Here's to the song in your heart and the paintbrush in mine. ;) ❤

      Delete
  3. Dear Kathleen - this is a great post and thought provoking as well. Thank you for sharing some of your important decisions in life. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Colombia we celebrate something similar to Valentine's day and it's not just romantic love but friendship as well. It's in September and it is call The Day of Love and Friendship (Dia del Amor y la Amistad)
    Thank you for the video and happy Vanlentine's to you too Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a better celebration, Maria. I think Valentine's Day can make some people sad depending on their situation or think that romantic love is the answer to everything. In the end, it's just another day. :)

      Delete
  5. I found you through Annamariart blog and, while browsing your posts, my frozen for several months creativity suddenly told me " I want to watercolor so much, this girl is so inspiring". Thank you and your blog so so much for this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Irina, I am so touched by your words, I actually started to cry. I know that feeling of being stuck. It happens to all of us every now and then. I am so glad to have inspired you in some way and thank you for telling me so. I wish you many, many beautiful paintings. ❤

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)