March 30, 2012

Spring Garden

Even if the temperatures have decided to go back to much colder levels this week, there is a spring garden blooming in my studio!

Here is the dwarf iris I finished this week (there are more details than the last time you saw it) as well as a tulip and muscari stem I painted last year.  Soon my dwarf irises outside will be surrounded by botanical tulips and a dense carpet of fragrant muscari (also known as grape hyacinth).

At the top left are the yellow crocuses I finished earlier this week, along with the purple crocuses painted last year and my snowdrop which I painted back in 2008.  I painted the snowdrop after a long creative hiatus and I remember Emma asking if she could bring it to school at the time. She actually wrote an English paper about it. I was very touched.

Here's part of a Robert Frost poem I found this week that made me smile. I understand completely his sense of not wanting to speak (or breathe) and spoil any bit of warm weather that comes our way in early spring, assuming it comes back that is. :)

The sun was warm but the wind was chill. 
You know how it is with an April day 
When the sun is out and the wind is still, 
You’re one month on in the middle of May. 
But if you so much as dare to speak, 
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch, 
A wind comes off a frozen peak, 
And you’re two months back in the middle of March.

Robert Frost
From Two Tramps in Mud Time 1934


10 comments:

  1. I like Mr Frost and these illustrations are beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice collection of spring flowers coming on there Kathleen. The poem is so very true, I love how you find these appropriate pieces. It has suddenly come back chilly here too, the wind is decidedly nippy! Big coat on again, but my pink tulips are peeping out :) The little tete a tete daffs are nearly done :( Look forward to seeing some more painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I love finding quotes and poems to go with my posts. I can't wait to see my tulips and daffodils. :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't see your wednesday post until today. A big kiss to ChloƩ, I hope her finger is feeling better now. Your photos are amazing and your watercolor flowers are delightful, as usual !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ChloƩ's finger is much better! Thanks for your ongoing encouragement of my painting.

      Delete
  4. spring looks just so lovely with your paintbrush

    ReplyDelete
  5. i missed a lot during my baguio trip --- i can imagine them all nicely planted on neat frames :)

    btw, as of your comment, thanks for introducing Edward Gorey. He's so imaginative. Now you gave me trouble as not to reduce things Gorey-style but still, my heartfelt thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. I love the idea of them planted in frames!

      No, no...don't change the way you draw! I just saw a connection with Gorey.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)