November 7, 2012

More Corners of my Studio

More views of my studio. First: my work table which is pretty darn neat at the moment. There will always be a bit of clutter. I think that is part of the creative process--at least, mine.  That sweet little pumpkin has been waiting very patiently for its portrait. (I'm getting to it.) What else do we see there? Several paint palettes. Some tea boxes I've converted to hold my Micron pens and cutting tools. Some reference photos for a painting I'm about to start. Several jars filled with pencils and paint brushes. Behind my chair, you can see the lovely letterpress poster 'Live what you love' that I bought from Heartfish Press when I was in the initial stages of getting back to painting (well before I started my blog).

The bulletin board is really placed just for my eyes as I'm working, so it was a bit of a challenge to take a photo head-on. The single most important item for me on that board is the Van Gogh quote:  "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint', then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." I often think about how sad it was that a man full of inspired words of encouragement for others was such a tortured soul himself. That quote has helped me over and over again. A more elegant version of  'Just do it'. The young woman on the bridge at Giverny is me on my honeymoon. And the beautiful wooden heart that says 'Bonheur' was bought in Paris years ago.  The tiny acrylic landscapes on canvas (sitting on the top edge) were done by me and ChloĆ© a couple of years ago.

I had to replace a light bulb in the ceiling light today, so took advantage of being on a stepladder to take a spider's eye view of my table.

I don't have side windows but have a nice skylight that provides decent northern light in the early part of the day. I still tend to use my art light (which has two bulbs that mimic daylight) most of the time. I sometimes miss having a window on the side walls but I would probably spend too much time gazing out of it.

There is just one more view to show you of my studio. That's the front view from my table. I just have a bit more clean up to do there. Did you wonder if maybe I was just shifting boxes from place to place, taking photos and pretending that I had cleaned things up? Hah! Don't think I didn't think about it. No, I'm really happy that things are more organized now.  I'll take that front view photo in the next few days.

Someone else is happy at the current state of my studio. Meeko now has a lovely clear sofa to read his copy of Uppercase magazine on. ;)


9 comments:

  1. So clean, so organized !! My space right now looks like I have put a bomb in my fabric stash ! The horror !! LOL
    But I know I'll have to clean & clear soon or I'll get some kind of crazy ! You may give me the motivation to do it soon ! ;-)
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, if I've provided inspiration! :) I also have a huge pile of fabric I need to go through. I don't sew much these days and need to give much of it away. There's only so much you can keep!

      Delete
  2. Very nice and thanks for visiting mine! I always feel better when I get everything tidied up & organized.
    ...and then, little by little...messy again!
    Your art is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your studio. I think your art is lovely too. Mess is part of creativity so it's hard to keep a studio neat. We'll see how I do. :)

      Delete
  3. Your studio is so peaceful and tidy, and even without real window, the light seems to be great and pure. I am always laughing when Meeko appears at the end of your posts; but has he got eyes ? I am wondering how he can SEE :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have this space for sure.

      He does have eyes and, just because of your comment, I gave his hair a little trim this afternoon...not exactly professional but he can see better now. I take him to the groomer about every six months. He'll be going in a couple of weeks. Even with the long hair, he sees well enough to get into mischief. ;)

      Delete
  4. Your studio space looks so lovely, it's nice to get it looking like that, it's peaceful and allows you to think straight! I nearly get there with that look, and then something comes in and whoops, upsets the applecart, and there are books and artworks and allsorts all over every surface! :) I loved you mentioning Mary Engelbreit in your last post, I have some of her cards from when I was at Uni, I loved her work, always such lovely sentiments. :)Meeko seems to be settling in nicely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel totally different at moment--peaceful, as you say. Who knows how long it will last though?

      I've always liked Mary Engelbreit too. Very distinctive style and I loved her magazine for showcasing artists' studios and homes.

      Delete
  5. I am so inspired to do something abt my little workspace! urs is treat to just sit there and enjoy a cuppa let alone paint!!!!love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)