January 4, 2015

After the Holidays

We have had freezing rain here most of the day. It has been a hazardous day for drivers and pedestrians. I'm so glad we drove back from Ontario on Friday and have been able to relax at home this weekend. We were in Ontario for a whole week to visit my family. We were supposed to drive Emma back to her university residence tonight but will wait until the morning when roads are likely to be easier to navigate. There are areas in Quebec without power. Our lights flickered this afternoon but, so far, we are lucky.

Hazards aside, the ice-encased garden is really quite beautiful. I posted a few photos I took during daylight on Instagram earlier. Tonight with our Christmas lights on and the street lights in the background, the garden is positively luminous.

Emma will be back at university tomorrow. ChloƩ goes back to school on Tuesday. I am so looking forward to getting back to my routine and painting again but it was very nice to have a break and do other things.

I hope you all had a good holiday and I wish you the very best in 2015!




5 comments:

  1. Happy new year dear Kathleen & Meeko !
    Freezing rain makes for beautiful photos but goodness that must be so dangerous. I hope you're all safe & doing fine.
    many hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonia. xo Very best wishes for the New Year to you, Gary and the rest of your family! :)

      We didn't lose our power and stayed inside when the storm was at its worst. We are also lucky that our trees are relatively young so they didn't sustain damage like some of the older ones in the region.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I am sad that it's time to take down the Christmas lights. We took ours down today, my son (home from college) and I did. It is a lovely, sunny, warm day, maybe 50 degrees in the Phoenix area. While it feels nice in the sun, I am sad the glow of lights will be over, except the ones in my backyard, which are under the ramada roof, and create a pretty pattern on the ceiling. I love the look of lights against the icy and snowy background, and I miss it, having lived where that won't happen, for 11 years now. THANK YOU for sharing this loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have our lights and decorations up. We travel so much during the holidays that it's nice to enjoy them a little bit longer but they will be coming down by the weekend. Glad I could share some ice and snow from a distance! It's prettier that way!

      Delete
  3. A pretty winterland..! :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)